Discover our Big Sky One-Day Trail Adventures and Freedom Bike Hire
Only have one day to spend on the trail? No problem!
Our all inclusive One-Day Trail Adventure packages include transport to and from your start point on the rail trail to your accommodation in Naseby, Ranfurly or Waipiata. Please inquire about other pick-up locations in the Maniototo.
FREEDOM BIKE HIRE
Full day: 8 hours. Half day: 4 hours.
Adult: Day $48 / Half day $30
Child (u/12): Day $30 / Half day $20.
Book a full day or half day bike rental and explore the rail trail at your own pace. We'll meet you in Ranfurly, set you up with your bike, point you towards the rail trail- and just like that, you're off on your adventure! Let the tiki-tour begin!
OH THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
- Cycle to Waipiata and enjoy one of their famous pies from the Waipiata Country Hotel (16 km return).
- Make it a full day trip to historic Oturehua and back (50 km return).
- Bike to Wedderburn to see New Zealand’s most photographed goods shed and enjoy a drink at the Wedderburn Tavern before gliding the gradual incline back to Ranfurly (26 km return).
Wherever your rail trail adventure takes you, you’re guaranteed genuine country hospitality, amazing scenery and a day to remember.
Time: 4-5 hours. Distance: 35/47 km
Price: $80 adult / $60 child (u/12) Min. 2 adults or 1 adult & 2 children.
Starting in Lauder, your Auripo Adventure takes you through the spectacular Poolburn Gorge and through historic Oturehua to finish at Wedderburn - home to New Zealand's most photographed goods shed.
- Idaburn Dam where the national Bonspiel (curling competition) is held (when the ice is thick enough.)
- Gilchrist’s Store in Oturehua. New Zealand’s longest operating general store and a museum in its own right.
- Golden Progress Mine. It’s a short stroll up to the old shaft and you’ll also find remains of various buildings on site.
You’ll pass the highest point on the trail at 618 m before you freewheel downhill to Wedderburn to meet your driver - or if you're up to the challenge, cycle the extra distance to Ranfurly.
Time: 3-4 hours. Distance: 33 km
Price: $75 Adult / $55 Child (u/12) Min. 2 adults or 1 adult & 2 children.
Your Hyde Escape will take you along a scenic river course through the upper Taieri Gorge, and includes Price's viaduct, a 152 metre long bricked tunnel and spectacular views of the Ida Range and the Kakanui Mountains.
- The old Red Dwarf Hut, a former railway workers’ shelter at Daisybank.
- The carefully preserved Cap Burn stone bridge at Tiroiti with its stone abutments and iron trusses.
- The 91 metre long, 32 metre high Price’s Creek Viaduct.
- A fascinating display of rail history in the old Ranfurly Railway Station.
Waipiata is the perfect refreshment stop on this trip which - in summer- can include a refreshing dip in the Taieri River, before the 7.5 km cruise back to the art deco township of Ranfurly.
Hire includes bike, helmet, pannier (bike bag), and a torch for the tunnels
Tandems, Tagalongs, Tow-ropes, Toddler trailer and baby seats also available for hire.